Friday 16 April 2010

National Union of Infighting - NUS UK Conference Report

Excuse me. Are you the Judean Peoples Front?

Fuck off! We’re the Peoples front of Judea.


You don’t need enemies when you’re in the National Union of Students - that is my impression as I arrive back from the NUS UK conference today, which you elected me to attend last year.

Despite spending a full three days in Gateshead, with another 900 delegates representing students’ union from across the UK, the verdict has to be that NUS could do better after a conference stifled by infighting.

Centre left Labour students and the menage a trois of far left revolutionary student movements attacked each other relentlessly over the three days.

The result, no time to discuss motions which could have been crucial to Swansea students such as minimum pricing of alcohol, bilingualism and motions to enable more students to engage in NUS activities.

I voted on the merits of each motion and argument, finding myself siding with both the centre and far left on different issues, each presenting their own battle. I won’t accredit blame, but NUS UK is an inherently party politicised union which in my view is often a diversion to fighting for students.



Despite the constantly ensuing battle of the social justice vs. class war agenda the conference managed to hear reports from national officers and sections who are doing valuable work and discuss motions which will have a positive effect on Swansea students.

Students’ best interests were often lost though, muddled in between political grandstanding.

Many delegates paid all of their attention to fighting the BNP and solidarity with Palestine, whilst I am in solidarity with Palestine and have stood on the frontline against fascists if we don’t give time to developing a strategy on fighting cuts in education and other welfare issues we will be out manoeuvred by the mass of mainly liberal English politicians who want us to pay through the nose for education and are happy to see standards decline.

I believe whilst Westminster sets the UK budget, which effects how much the Welsh government can spend, we should remain a part of NUS UK.

However the interests of Swansea students, I believe, would be better served by a stronger NUS Wales – education is devolved to the Welsh Assembly and therefore we need to concentrate on lobbying the Welsh government to see the greatest gains for our students.

But all your Swansea delegates (Luke Young, Raechel Mattey, Simon Darvill, Paul Cargeeg and myself) worked hard to represent Swansea union and your best interests.

I made a note of my full voting record on motions and candidates for office for the purposes of transparency; just ask if you’re interested in knowing how I voted on any issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment